Thursday, April 17, 2008

After some research...

Tonight in the middle of writing a 10 minute feminist speech on Esther, another Lesley Gore song came on my Pandora station. This time it was "She's a Fool". I decided I needed to procrastinate and do some research. Now, Lesley Gore's history might be interesting only to me, but I was excited so here goes.

After several "do anything to make your stupid boyfriend happy because God knows you're not good enough on your own" songs, she recorded "You don't own me". I know those of you in your 60s are like, yeah we knew that, but isn't it ironic? So that was shock #1.

Then she went to Sarah Lawrence College, the world's epicenter of feminism. Shock #2

Then later in her life she came out as a Lesbian. Shock #3!

I just feel like writing her a letter and telling her how awesome her journey is, but I can't help but wonder if she regrets any of those early songs.

1 comment:

Linda said...

update already!!!