Tuesday, June 3, 2008

The City of Brotherly Love

This past weekend I moved to Philly to begin an internship. I'll be working out of a church that is trying to build a community between the homeless and the artists that live in Center City. For the summer, they're having youth groups stay at the church to do service projects in and around the city. I'm facilitating that and I'm slightly terrified.

The four of us doing this program are living in a very swanky apartment that shares a building with Banana Republic. That's right -- I live in Banana Republic. My co-workers seem great so far and I can tell that we were chosen for our unique gifts, hopefully leading to a cohesive whole that will run like a well-oiled machine. Hopefully.

Back to my job specifically. I am to be the non-anxious presence as I take groups of kids around the city to various service projects such as soup kitchens, shelters and parks. While on the move, I need to be asking them such as questions as "Yes, why DO you think that sign says no shopping carts?" or "Well, actually this community used to be fairly run down and now its what we called 'gentrified'. What do you think happened to all the people who lived here before?" and the classic, "Ok you're angry about this, what do you think God is challenging you to do?" And when plans fall through or buses are late or someone gets the one and only recorded snake bite in the history of Philadelphia, I need to be the non-anxious presence that calmly says, "Oh snake bites? Happens all the time! This way to the hospital, team!"

Yup, its gonna be tough. Its going to be a summer of leading with faith and trusting that God is there before us, paving the way.

4 comments:

Laura said...

Good thing you rule.

Good luck.

A friend of mine in Eau Claire ended up in Philly for the summer as well. It would be random and interesting to get you two together. Although I know you'll both be super busy!
LJ

Linda said...

hey girlie! i think you should be prepared to say " well, i think that if you eat two philly cheesesteaks and run up the museum steps a-la "rocky" you will throw up." i wish someone had told me!

Anonymous said...

Good luck, Bren!! You should certainly take them to South Philly for cheesesteaks. Or plan steak, as is the case with me. I would go to Gino's...not Pat's.

Erin said...

Is now the time for me to start making jokes about you living in a banana?