Wednesday, November 7, 2007

C=M.Div.

This phrase, "C=M.Div" is one I came into contact with early on at seminary. The idea is that one does not need straight A's (or B's) in order to graduate and become ordained. No one in your congregation will ever ask what you got on your systematic theology midterm. As long as you pass, it's all good.

This is troubling for those of us who have always gotten good or near perfect grades. I don't know how to turn my brain off so that I can destress a little and accept a B or C, and yet, I have to because there are classes where the professors very clearly say that an A is impossible.

All my education reason and rationale tells me that the learning should be enough, that a grade based on who wrote the Didache and when and were they wearing socks when they did is not important, but it is important that I get big concepts in our church history like early Trinity discussions.

So I'm working through this. The question is ultimately, "To stress or not to stress?". If my work is an offering to God, does God care if I get a C? Or does God care that I leave my room sometimes and have a glass of wine down the hall or go to the gym?

Also, because I'm starting to see how God likes to make fun of me, I'm sure wherever I go to church this Sunday, the preacher will mention the Didache.

1 comment:

Linda said...

what? the Didache is something i discuss frequently!sarah brough it up as i was putting her in her carseat on the way to baby gym!

but i guess if you learn anything it should be about how God can love you even if you don't know a lot or if you are a jerk...that's what i tell myself anyway as i work through new testament history!

hope you're well! let's chat soon!love you!